Flex is going Open Source! This is really, really exciting news! I’ve been looking forward to this moment since before I worked at Macromedia. This will certainly change RIA programming in a major way. But what does this mean for you:
1) There will be a formal process for contributing to Flex.
2) Your voice is important. Join the Open Source Flex Google Group.
3) You aren’t locked into a single vendor’s monetization strategy. So is Flex now part of the “Open Web”? I think so.
4) More rapid innovation. Adobe has some really smart people. Combine those with a ton of other really smart people and we get better products, faster.
5) Adobe continues down the Open Source road. Tamarin was a huge step. Now Adobe takes another.
6) OEMs can more easily adopt Flex.
7) Open Source Flex can be redistributed.
8) Open Source Flex will further stimulate the already booming Flex ecosystem.
9) Flex is bigger than Adobe. Watch as many big organizations further invest in Flex.
10) Flex is going Open Source! ‘nuf said.
More information is available in the FAQ. Come join us! Together we will revolutionize the now-more-sexy “Open Web”! :)